Joan Jones was the first woman to serve on the Community Foundation’s Board of Directors. She was the 10th director, nominated in 1984 by the City of Fort Atkinson, WI Council, and she has an incredible resume of service to our community. Here are just a few highlights.
Joan served three terms on the School District of Fort Atkinson Board from 1973 to 1982. She co-chaired the capital campaign that led to the 1983 addition to the Dwight Foster Public Library (Fort Atkinson), more than doubling its square footage at the time.
She was an early – and is still an active - member of the local chapter of the American Association of University Women - AAUW-Wisconsin: Fort Atkinson Branch.
Her historic preservation work includes getting the Main Street and Merchants Avenue historic districts on the National Register; helping start the local Fort Atkinson Historic Preservation Commission; and purchasing, restoring and then donating the renovated 1913 Fort Atkinson Club building downtown to the nonprofit organization Rock River Heritage.
But more than all this, Joan is a constant, quiet contributor to so many causes and projects that benefit our community. She is a generous donor to the Community Foundation, helping to establish and support a number of funds that benefit Fort Atkinson residents – all done with no acknowledgement requested. She embodies the Foundation’s vision of A Better Fort Atkinson and our community has been blessed by her presence.